RSS

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

First Check up ~


Giant Lady here.
Rose went for her 2 week check up.

Where she just had a bad bladder infection before.
After 2 weeks of the RX feed, her urine is loaded with
Struvite crystals.

Vet kept saying I must be feeding her something else.
Well no, no I am not. I rattled off the RX she sent home with us last time.
Then she said, but you are not feeding the RX can food.
She is the best Vet I could find in the area and the only one to care for cats.
Maybe she just had a long day, but she did not even know the name of one of the RX can foods she sent home with us.

Then the Vet finally said, she could be having a problem with one of the RX can foods.
Sigh ~~~

I am past my limit.  With This many seriously ill animals....
(two cushings horses, one also with IR and founder, another with life threatening allergies and so on)


What can I feed Rose, to make sure the Struvite Crystals go away and stay away?

Her water is triple filtered ... But..... I am not sure it filters out what would cause the Stuvite Crystals.

She was being fed a grain free, high meat diet.... but who can trust any canned food any more, even the high end ones.

She is only 3 1/2 years old....

Rose is feeling better, bouncing around and being her usual self.
Even with all the tiny crystals in her system.

Photo is of Rose in my spot taking a bath. LOL

(Rose and I are sorry we haven't responded to folks much, between her working on getting Well and me caring for her... the Giant human is pretty burnt out)

10 comments:

The Island Cats said...

I'm sorry Rose is having urinary problems. I know feeding wet food with water added is good. And others have said that the prescription wet food does help. I wish I had something else to suggest. ~Island Cat Mom

Shari said...

Thank you IC.

I put filtered water with their canned food, to make it almost soupy.

The mass of struvites did not show up until she had been eating the RX food for 2 weeks.
So at least one of the RX foods, has made it worse.

If she doesn't not get better with the RX canned food.
I may start making her food.

She is way to young to have this problem. :(

Lola The Rescued Cat said...

Poor Rose. We don't have any experience with this but we are sending prayers and purrs.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Poor Rose! (And poor you!) I wish I had some suggestions, but we've only had to deal with the occasional FLUTD, not crystals. The last time my human had to deal with that was a couple of decades ago with a male kitty (male cats are more prone to crystals), and after he got treated, my human only fed him canned food (he was eating junky dry before - she didn't know any better!), and that was the last of that problem.

It sounds like Rose is already eating canned so we don't know what to think. It could be something in her own physiology that makes her more prone to crystals. It's a bummer you don't have another vet nearby because there should be other suggestions besides the Rx food, if it is not working.

I wish I had more, but all I can do is send purrs.

Seville at Nerissa's Life said...

I've had the crystals, twice, which is why I get my special-special but Peep #1 believes my crystals were brought on with stress. (Nosey-Neighbour-Cat had practically moved in and I was in no mood to deal with him at all.) The peeps still give me my special-special but they do everythin' they can to make my life stress-free and I haven't had the crystals in several years! purrs

Shari said...

Interesting, I have been reading online that these crystals can be brought on by stress.
Rose was so scared at the Vet this time she soiled herself.
She has also been refusing all food and water. Which will make everything worse.

While I am sure it is not the best thing for her right now, I need to get her to eat and drink.
So she got her once a week treat of a small raw egg this morning.

As soon as I can afford it, hopefully in a few months, will get a good meat grinder and look into making her food.
There are a few balanced cat recipes out there.

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry this has happened. Mommy lost a few boys to UTI's and when me got one she panicked. Wysong makes a supplement dat you add to food dependin' on da type of crystals. You may need to call them and ask which to buy. Mommy also switched me to Primal Freeze dried raw food dat she adds water too, to re-hydrate it. She doesn't ever recommend feedin' RX diets. Primal uses all human grade ingredients made in FDA regulated kitchens (fact). Ifin you'd like to talk to mommy further 'bout this you can email us at: lexi.dezi@yahoo.com. Happy Mother's day to you. Big hugs and lots of purrayers.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Raena

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We wish we knew something ta suggest...

Shari said...

Hi Dezi and Raena,

Rose still won't eat the RX food, so I put her back on "Whole Earth Farm" turkey. It is made in the US with US soured ingredients.

I bought a powder version of DL-Methionine, and add an 1/8 tsp of that to it.

Also been adding Probiotics and my L-Glutamine, to get her eating well again.
The two Antibiotics she got, played merry hobs with her guts.

I will check out that info, thank you.

Sweet Purrfections said...

We can't help you with recommendations, but it sounds like you are getting some good advice. We hope Rose is better soon.

We are slowly reconnecting with our friends since Mom Paula retired and hope to see you more often.

Truffle, Brulee, and Mom Paula
http://sweetpurrfections.blogspot.com

Post a Comment